Sunday, May 6, 2012

2/13/11 - Emergency Fund

     Through the years, John and I have been through our share of ups and downs financially. We’ve known times of feast and times of famine. We learned many lessons the hard way. We learned not to rely on credit cards or think of them as a security blanket. We’ve learned to become savers. We’ve learned there is value in having an emergency fund. Life can feel a lot less stressful when you borrow only from yourself. We’ve learned to economize and set priorities that include some fun or life can get pretty depressing. We’ve shared with our kids what we’ve learned and have tried to make sure they learn to set wise limits on their own spending. As in everything else in life, it’s all a learning process and we still make lots of mistakes.
      Recently, we’ve had to spend our emergency fund on emergencies. It felt great knowing it was there and we thanked God for providing the money in that emergency fund. But then, this past week we had an emergency that not only wiped out the last of the fund, but it also left us owing money to a general contractor. Not a good feeling, especially when faced with the knowledge that Friday was John’s last day at his job. He is now unemployed. My first response was, “Oh no, my emergency fund is gone and we’ll have no way of replacing it.” I was worried! But then, I began to remember all of the many times God has provided for us in the past and I was reminded that my security lies not in an emergency fund or a good paying job. My security lies in knowing that my Father has it all under control. He miraculously kept the tree in my front yard from falling on my house after it cracked following the ice storm, so I’m sure He can take care of my bank account! Seriously, the tree removal people could not understand how the broken limbs were staying in place!
      So, where does my security lie? In God and God alone. I guarantee I’m going to need plenty of reminders of this truth throughout the upcoming months, but I am sure of the One who promised to never leave me nor forsake me. (Hebrews 13:5) I will choose to meditate on His promises to me and read them over and over so I can say with Paul that I “have learned the secret of being content whatever the circumstances.” (Philippians 4:11) I will read Matthew 6:25-34 every day until I live it out. I will choose to trust God and His promises and I will live in that hope no matter what comes my way. Don’t get me wrong, I can almost guarantee I’ll have some pretty challenging set-backs, but He who promised is faithful. He’s done it before and He’ll do it again!
      Take time today to read Matthew 6:25-34 and let the words soak in. Take time today to remember the many times God has provided for you. Take time to thank Him for how very blessed you are. Then, live every day with the knowledge that He has been faithful before and He will always be faithful. God’s best to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment