Sunday, May 6, 2012

11/25/10 - Happy Thanksgiving!

 
“Thanksgiving comes, by statute, once a year; but to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow.”
- Edward Sandford Martin

I borrowed this quote from a friend on facebook. It so beautifully sums up my thoughts today as I write this Thanksgiving devotional. You see, I love Thanksgiving with its reminder to be thankful for the many blessings we enjoy. Even though some are unsure just Who they are thanking, it’s still wonderful to celebrate such a positive holiday and take time to realize just how many good things are in our lives.
In the New Testament, as the writers are trying to encourage and teach the first Christians about living for God, there are many reminders to be grateful. In Colossians 4:2 it simply says, “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.” In Colossians chapter three we’re told to “Let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts…..And be thankful.” Later in the same chapter we’re told to do everything in the name of Jesus, “giving thanks to God the Father through Him.” In Philippians chapter four we’re told to present our requests to God with thanksgiving so we will “not be anxious about anything.” In I Thessalonians 5:16-18 Paul writes, “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
Obviously, thankfulness is important to God and is meant to be a part of our everyday lifestyle. It never ceases to amaze me how much better life is when I wrap my head and heart around what God asks of me and then just do it. When I truly live my life with an attitude of gratitude, it takes my mind off of what my need is and places it back on how blessed I already am. It helps me remember how faithful God has been in the past, bolstering my faith that He will be faithful again to meet whatever need I may have. Remember God has promised that He will never leave us or forsake us. Gratefulness also leads to an attitude of praise and will often open my eyes to ways God has been faithful even in the midst of my trials.
It’s not a coincidence that in almost every reference listed above Paul goes on to talk about peace and contentment. A grateful heart can truly give us perspective. So, my prayer this Thanksgiving is that it won’t be just a day of gratefulness, but instead it will kick-start a lifestyle of gratitude. I pray we’ll keep our eyes on the Creator of all we have to be thankful for and that we’ll live our lives demonstrating our gratitude for the greatest gift He ever gave us - Jesus. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment